Military Family Support
Those brave enough to make the ultimate sacrifice to protect our freedom and American way of life do so with the spirit and grace of God. And through we may often think of them as hardened, vigilant, stalwart warriors, inside each of them beats the heart and soul of a mortal being.
Though we do our best to keep them in our hearts and in our prayer, it is time for each of us here at home to reach out and show our undying gratitude for thei struggle and our fight to end global terrorism and preserve worldwide peace.
We need your help! Our mission is to provide networking and prayer for military families and active duty military service members of our parish. We also wish to recognize and honor our veterans. By your prayers, networking, and professional help, we will work together in the spirit of Jesus Christ's loving example to accomplish our mission.
For more information or to volunteer your services, please contact Cynthia and Jose Cantu at firstname.lastname@example.org
Support for active military and their families.....
recognition and thankfulness for our veterans
The mission of the HSMFSG includes prayer, networking and support groups for active-dute military and their families, and recognition and honor for our veterans. We will seek to establish special Mass intentions (especially near public holidays) that recognize the Armed Forces and Veterans. We will advance our goals by utilizing the human resources of the members of our parish who are willing to provide their time and expertise to maximize the efforts of our outreach program. That's why we are recruiting new talent now!
Prayer for Our Troops
Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. And give us peace. I ask this in the name of Jesus, Our Lord and Savior. Amen
- EARL WATSON is a World War II veteran of the D-Day invasion in the Battle of the Bulge. Earl is much decorated for these actions. Yet he maintains a very modest, personable and upbeat demeanor. You may know him as an usher and greeter. Earl has agreed to serve as ombudsman/counselor to the veterans of our parish. He has worked closely with the VA and other government entities in areas of entitlement, healthcare, and PTSD counseling. He is a pleasure to work with, a dedicated optimist and a results driven person with a high standard of excellence. More about Earl.
- SGT. MICHAEL MANELSKI (ACE) is a five-year veteran of the U.S. Navy and currently serves with the Army Guard at the 1106 th TASMG in Fresno. He is skilled in the area of electronics and information technology. He is a big fan of Google and knows how to use all of their free internet tools and features. Mike will serve a similar role as Earl helping our active-duty military personnel and their families. He has been a great resource in setting up and organizing our preliminary efforts.
- STEVE MANELSKI is a Vietnam veteran. He volunteered to work on HSMFSG because he saw many similarities to the social discords brought about by the Vietnam and what is taking place in Iraq and Afghanistan today. Often, those serving in our armed forces and their immediate families go unrecognized for their sacrifices amidst the political wrangling of our fractured leadership, and our own day-to-day preoccupation with the pursuit of the liberties we take so much for granted. Indeed, there have been many changes in military life since Steve's tenure in the Army: women and mothers serving in combat roles, longer and back-to-back deployments, strained financial resources, post-service trauma, etc. Yet, as he discovered as a returning veteran, there are many resources provided by the various government and civilian agencies, which along with our church community, can provide great opportunity for post service advancement and education.
We encourage your input and would like you to join us. Please call Earl at 298-0764.
PROJECTS/ INITIATIVES OR SUPPORT MISSION IDEAS
We have (please let us know if you would like to help with a particular one or if you have an idea to add)
- Care packages to those currently deployed on overseas assignments
- Masses of Remembrance for Veterans & Deceased veterans
- Information and education workshops for active military, families and veterans
- Education on how military and families can connect (FREE) via the internet
- Professional help available through government and non-government agencies
- Your Catholic Faith, Your Family and A Military Career: Peaceful Coexistence
- Fundraisers we may want to pursue in cooperation with other programs at Holy Spirit
- Scholarship programs for active-duty and prior service family members of the parish
- www.rileyguide.com/vets.html: Jobs search advise, recruiters and trainers for veterans, education and training support, Employment and financial rights and assistance.
- http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html: How to request military service records or prove military service (DD Form 214)
- http://www.military.com/ Connects user to various benefits of service in the military
- www.militaryonesource.com 24/7 resource for military members, spouses and family. Toll free numbers, online tools, links to suicide prevention
- http://www.catholichomeandgarden.com/our_catholic_faith_and_the_military.htm Our Catholic Faith and the Military
- http://www.greetingmilitary.com/ Free military greeting cards
- http://www.gibill.va.gov/ GI BIll website and Welcome Page: All educational benefits provided by the Dept of V.A.
- http://www.cdva.ca.gov/newhome.aspx California Department of Veterans Affairs/Cal Vet Loans
- www.educationconnection.com Online education resources
- http://www.naus.org/ National Assoc for Uniformed Services, The Servicemember's Voice In Government